Sunday, August 17, 2014

Skullery

I'm not into Witchcraft, but I am a fan of skulls. When I was in the States I snapped a few photos of displays in both Michaels and Big Lots and then brought them back home with me to work on in photoshop and picmonkey. I post some of my images on another website and thought it might be interesting to show them here, and show the whole process not just the end results. 

The original photo taken in Big Lots
I took it into Photoshop and airbrushed the shelving and background black

In this finished image I used picmonkey to change the tones and add some cobwebs.
Original shop layout in Michaels

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I didn't like the rest of the bits and pieces so I just cropped these two and added a black background again.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Then I had fun in picmonkey, but needed to play around with it a bit more in Photoshop again.

Small Foam skulls in Michaels

Just messed around with them in picmonkey, and decided to keep the labels.
The original
Photoshopped the shelving and price tags away
Used a background effect in picmonkey to add a bit of interest
I loved these skulls from Big Lots
This one took the most work in Photoshop, getting rid of the labels, stickers and background.
Made the image have more clarity in picmonkey and added some stars. I was going to remove the pumpkins but decided they added some interest and colour. 



7 comments:

  1. Clever. I will have to learn how to play with my photographs and move away from the what you see is what you get mode.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you do good work! I better try a little more in picmonkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like skulls, too, and I like what you've done here.

    Obviously the Halloween decorations are out in the stores in full force! I know you don't celebrate the holiday (and you know I see it only as a fun event preceding All Saints Day), but I'm working on a fun jigsaw to post for Halloween. It's a companion puzzle to the one I posted last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ms A!

    Elephant's Child, well it's amazing how anyone can take a crap photo and make it look good really. There are so many software packages to improve photos now. I just find it fun to mess around with them.

    Thanks Mari. Picmonkey really is excellent, and I don't pay to use all the extra features they do, but if I was doing it for professional reasons I would.

    Kelly, I'm looking forward to seeing your jigsaw. I tend to enjoy doing any jigsaw even if I'm not that into the image, well as long as it doesn't have loads of sky and sea. :D I'm trying to sort out another post here to show you the jigsaws I did whilst I was on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Those are a bit creepy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your treatments of the pics, and I love that you took them all at the store, on the shelves. I adore skulls, especially the sugar kind. Skulls are the ONLY thing I like about Halloween, a holiday I truly despise. But skulls are a year-round-thing for me. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Followers