Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Life moves on ...

 Once upon a time there was a pub. It wasn't a great looking pub, but it had served the town for over 140 years. 

Not my photo
In 2009 it closed down. Soon it was derelict and vandalised. Metal thieves caused even more damage, and for 4 years it has become more and more of an eyesore. 

Photo from Google
Finally, and not surprisingly, a property developer has purchased the site and immediately knocked down the building, saying it was too late to rescue the property. There's been talk of a development of 12 flats being built to replace it. What a surprise, can you imagine the money the developers will make from that rather than restoring the old building?

I've been watching the demolition work with a real sense of sadness, and managed to take a few photos. Not that the building was that beautiful, and it was an eyesore, but even so, there was a lot of history in that old building and now look at it.






I thought there was something kind of ironic the way the bulldozers knocked down everything in sight but the kiddies play house in the pub garden wasn't touched. 


 And one iconic image from the UK that was protected - the post box. The strange thing is I'm a big fan of modern buildings. I love metal and chrome. I'm not into old buildings at all, even though I live in a house that is over 100 years old, we bought it for the setting not the structure. I'd much rather live in a high tech glass house, but, I still think it's sad to see old buildings knocked down, but what was even worse was seeing the above pub neglected and run down.

Karl Lagerfield recently said "Forget about the past. If you think it was better, you are finished." And I tend to agree, with most things that's probably true, but not all. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the above piece of land. I'll keep you posted. 


6 comments:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "there was a lot of history in that old building and now look at it". It's sad.

    Like Dazee, I love the little playhouse! The mail box is pretty neat, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, the pub was cute, and I hope they build something pleasing to the eye at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now it's all history... i believed old folks will still talk about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many people think that the old has to go. It may have been expensive to rehab it but the history is lost. And that is sad.

    ReplyDelete

Followers